MAZDA RX-8 MIATA MX-5 Lock Kit
- For Mazda RX8 and MX5 NC (2005 – 2015).
- Original steering rack at original position can be used if needed, but as many builds have more rotor sections, or I6, V8 swaps, then rack needs to be lowered. kit comes with parts to fit BMW E36 or E46 rack to subframe. The knuckle has 2 positions for tie rod attachment: for original rack position and lowered position. For lowered position it has also some adjustability for a case someone has already lowered a rack and it doesn't match with designed height. The kit comes also with new 7075 aluminiumbillet U-joint to connect Mazda steering column to BMW rack. By default the kit has left hand drive steering rack attachment. Let the dealer know if you want it for right hand drive car. Then rack attachment parts will be replaced in the kit.
- 65 degrees of lock, parallel steering. As an option, there is a possibility to buy Ackermann adjustment kit. You can tune your steering geometry either towards positive or negative Ackermann in just a few minutes even at trackside without messing up an alignment.
- Adjustable lock stopper.
- All the steel components on RX8 front suspension are from high strenght steel, including sheetmetal components, tubes, tube ends and rod end housings. Rod ends and spherical bearings are used, no rubber bushings.
- Higher roll center (RC). RX8 has a double A-arm front and multilink rear suspension, which is a very good starting point for a racecar. Lowering the car would increase performance and handling, but this would mess up the original factory designed kinematics. It lowers the roll center and increases camber gain. On knuckle, both joints are dropped, which brings the front RC up on lowered car, providing higher roll stiffness, good camber control and minimal bump steer with high steering angles. On drift cars the dynamic camber and bump steer is much more important than static. With our kinematics we have assured that the camber would provide very good front grip and bump steer is minimal at all the range of steering.
- Steering jacking control. During steering the car chassis is moving up and down – this is called jacking. Steering jacking is caused by combination of caster, KPI, trail and scrub. On road cars, this effect is used sometimes to balance the car or to help to turn in. During drifting, when steering angle is much bigger, jacking is also bigger, even with the same geometry and it could become a problem. We have changed the geometry that it doesn't cause any handling issues.
- Consistent and predictable self-alignment torque. Caster is not the only important parameter to provide sufficient self-alignment torque especially at high lock. It's the combination of different parameters to maintain consistent trail and self-alignment torque. With our setup the steering wheel turns always to the direction of movement and doesn't get stuck at full lock.
- Original wheelspeed sensor (ABS sensor) can be used.
- Original swaybar can be used in front.
Ackerman kit included
Other components, packaging and clearance.
This kit assumes car to have coilovers, to have enough clearance.
Ride height is designed to be ~80mm from front subframe to ground
Dependent on rim width and ET, wider fenders or fender flares would be needed.
Inner wheel wellsdo not need to be modified with tire diameter up to 635mm (215/45R17, 225/45R17, 235/40R17, 225/40R18 etc). Minimum rim diameter is 17".
Recommended backspacing is ~135mm (7" ET45; 8" ET35; 9" ET20). If ET is smaller, then wheels stay more outwards, if ET is bigger, then spacers need to be used.
The kit is designed and manufactured the way that after installation and toe adjustment it's ready to use right away.
This product is for racing use only!